Another new year has begun, and another year to neglect this blog!! ^ ^
I am hoping to make a little more content over here, and I have a few plans to do that over the course of the year. I like to make myself a ton of New Year’s goals, because I know that the more goals I have, the more likely I’ll accomplish one of them. Let’s hope that “posting more regularly on my blog” is one of them.
In addition to that, I have a few goals which may affect what I post on this blog, so let’s look at them:
ONE. READ 500 VOLUMES
I’ve set my GoodReads goal to 500 books, but I’m actually expecting to read more than that. I’m not counting prose nor comics in this total, but I am expecting to read some. I want this 500 books goal to be comprised entirely of manga. I’ve had a bit of a slow start already, but am anticipating more free time to read this year. Last year I read about 420 manga. This year will be a bit of a stretch, but I’ve done it in the past, and I know I can do it again.
TWO. PICK A MONTHLY TBR
I’ve got a bunch of reading plans which require me to do a little bit of more structured reading. I can, of course, still pick what I want to read but, every month I am going to create a TBR (to be read) pile that I’d like to accomplish.
The categories I’ll be using to construct this TBR every month are:
- At least 1 title from the “1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die” book
- At least 4 titles from my #readmanga19 challenge. This includes a combination of prompts and reading books that start with certain letters of the alphabet. (you can find a description of this challenge in the drop-down menu above)
- At least 1 title from “the Closet” (this is where we store all of our BL/yaoi/yuri and box set manga… I don’t pay enough attention to this part of the collection).
- At least 1 title from the “Oversize Shelf” (this is where most of our gekiga and alternative manga live. Again it is fairly ignored).
- At least 1 title from my single issues collection
- And, Only 1 title from my list of OOP (out of print) releases that I finally finished collecting last year.
The point in making a TBR is partly so that I pick up a variety of different things, but it’s also to give me a focus to talk about. I’m turning some of these categories, like the #readmanga19, into video series on YouTube, but I’m hoping to talk about all of my TBR related reading both here and on my channel.
THREE. REDUCE MY MANGA SPENDING!
This may or may not affect what you see on this blog. I’m still going to be spending a lot of money on manga, but my budget is, in effect, being cut in half for the next year. I’m saving for a few personal projects, and also repaying some debt accrued from taking classes.
I’ve actually decided to take a break from university (and any other payed-for classes) for the next year, to help me pay off the debt from frequently taking classes. This is a VERY new thing for me: I don’t think I’ve ever been out of school for more than a couple months at a time in over 35 years! Ack!
What will I do with all this free time?!
I’m assuming the answer is “read” and maybe even “blog”. So, I have a little less money to play with, but I have a lot more free time. That in itself should make a huge difference for this hobby…probably.
I, of course, have a bunch of other goals for the year, but these are the three big ones that will affect this space.
Even though it feels a bit late to say: